Author Topic: 3rd gen 4runner no start after engine warm  (Read 357 times)

Swish

3rd gen 4runner no start after engine warm
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:11:28 PM »
Hello fellas. Great to see y'all helping some folks out. Keep up the grand work over at MT Schiele.

Ive got a friend who is having a no start issue on his 3rd gen 4runner after he runs it till warm or operating temp...shuts it down and no start until engine cools for at least 30 min.

Here is his direct response via email. Wondering if y'all had any insight.
Brent says:
 "2000 4runner will not start after it is warmed up. When attemp to restart after turning off while still hot, runs for about 1.5 seconds and that is it. Cranks over fine but will not start. after it cools for 30 minutes or so starts fine and runs well. This issue started 11 months ago and a Toyota dealer changed water pump, engine coolant sensor and thermostat. It has run fine since last March but issue has started again. I think dealer found a OBD2 code of P0116 last year when I first took it to them i don’t recall a code or a light when I took in last time.  No CEL at the moment. Head scratcher." :o

mightymouse

Re: 3rd gen 4runner no start after engine warm
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 04:51:31 AM »
On any crank and no start situation i start by checking what is "missing" that makes the engine run. Find out what is lacking such as fuel, spark, compression. I doubt it is compression but stranger things have happened. By the way it will help if we know what  engine, trans, ect.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:24:24 AM by mightymouse »

livel0veryde

• Drive over stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »
It did the same thing before coolant temp sensor was replaced?
Is the fuel pump kicking on when you go to restart?
Are injectors opening when you go to restart?

Have you looked at instantaneous sensor data (good place to start)?
Ashland mo
04 taco with some stuff

mightymouse

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 11:32:44 AM »
It did the same thing before coolant temp sensor was replaced?
Is the fuel pump kicking on when you go to restart? (check for fuel)
Are injectors opening when you go to restart? (again fuel here's where the test light will help)

Have you looked at instantaneous sensor data (good place to start)? if he has access to one it would be a life saver for sure

checking for fuel when it happens is relatively easy. A test light will help as well. i'm assuming he doesn't have a device capable of gathering instant data but you never know.

Swish

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 11:50:50 AM »
I'm gathering some data from him. Thanks for the replies y'all.

Swish

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 08:01:04 AM »
He has a 3.4 L Auto 4x4 limited.    He tested some things and cleaned some sensors.....seems to work now. Here is his message...."for what its worth and this info is just for your future troubleshooting .... Yesterday I pulled throttle body and Idle control vale and then cleaned them. they were dirty but not much. I also cleaned Mass air sensor again which really wasn’t dirty. test drove this morning and not a problem. started right up after the ‘heat sink’ period that normally killed it"

That seem like a likely issue that would cause a no start aftercwarm up?